Immigrants Charged with Vehicular Manslaughter
Anyone who causes the death of another person because of reckless or negligent driving can be charged with vehicular manslaughter under the state law. To be charged with vehicular manslaughter, the responsible driver must be proven to have been operating the vehicle in an illegal or reckless manner, such as speeding, disobeying traffic signals or even driving while intoxicated (DWI).
The victim in the incident may be:
- A passenger in the same vehicle or,
- A pedestrian or cyclist or,
- The driver and passengers in other vehicles on the road.
Charges for Vehicular Manslaughter in Charlotte and their Effects on Your Immigration Status
- Prison Time – If you are convicted of vehicular manslaughter, you may spend anywhere from 15 to 480 months in prison.
- Felony Crime Record – After your release, you will have a felony crime on your record, making it impossible to pass a background check and difficult to get hired by certain companies.
- Social Stigma – Further, you will have to live with the social stigma of a convicted felon for the rest of your life.
- Deportation – As an immigrant, you additionally face the possibility of being deported on the grounds that this offense is often considered to be a crime of moral turpitude.
- Citizenship – Even if you are permitted to stay in the country, your path to citizenship/naturalization will most likely be closed, as it will be difficult convincing immigration officials that you are a person of good moral character.
Defense against Charges of Vehicular Manslaughter for Immigrants in Charlotte
Vehicular manslaughter charges can have serious consequences on your future – the effect of conviction on immigration status implies that you may have to be separated from your family and deprived of the benefits of your years of effort to build a life in this country.
However, there is hope of avoiding a negative outcome, if you contact a Charlotte immigration defense attorney as early as possible.
Get in Touch With Johnson & Nicholson Charlotte Attorneys for Legal Assistance against Vehicular Manslaughter Charges
At the offices of Johnson & Nicholson, Attorney Carnell Johnson can meet with you for a consultation and discuss your chances of resolving the charges and preserving your right to stay in Charlotte.
Being well versed in immigration law with a successful background in criminal defense, the attorneys at Johnson and Nicholson can communicate in both English and Spanish and are committed to achieve the best possible results for all of their clients.
Contact a Charlotte manslaughter attorney today if you are an immigrant accused of vehicular manslaughter.